Gesundheitsberufe Hamburg


Who offers this course?

Universitätsklinikum Eppendorf (UKE)/ Hochschule 21


7 semesters

State recognition


Type of study

Dual course


The Physiotherapy DUAL degree program is offered by the Vocational School of Physiotherapy at the UKE Academy for Education and Careers in cooperation with hochschule 21 (hs21). DUAL means that the training to become a physiotherapist is integrated into the study program. With this seven-semester course of study, you receive a dual qualification:

  • After 3 years of training and a successful state examination, you will receive permission to use the professional title of physical therapist.
  • After the 7th semester you will acquire the academic degree Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.).

Qualification on completion

Bachelor of Science

What is the content of the course of studies?

In the study program Physiotherapy DUAL, much emphasis is placed on the interlocking of technical school and university content. The core objective of the training is the independent planning and implementation of therapy using physiotherapeutic techniques with regard to the objective of the treatment. Knowledge of methodology and didactics for instructing patients and for expanding social skills for constructive cooperation with members of other medical and social professions is imparted.

The following subjects are part of the training:

  •  Anatomy
  •  Physiology
  •  General pathology
  •  Special pathology
  •  Hygiene
  •  First aid and dressing techniques
  •  Applied physics and biomechanics
  •  Language and literature
  •  Psychology/ Pedagogy/ Sociology
  •  Prevention and Rehabilitation
  •  Training theory
  •  Theory of movement
  •  Physiotherapeutic diagnosis and examination techniques
  •  Physiotherapeutic treatment techniques
  •  Massage therapy
  •  Electro-, light- and radiation therapy
  •  Hydro-, balneo-, thermo- and inhalation therapy
  •  Professional, legal and governmental knowledge
  •  Methodical application of physiotherapy in medical specialties

Where can I find employment later on?

Advice and support for patients, leadership positions, health management, prevention, rehabilitation, therapy, quality assurance, science and research.

In what fields/subject areas can I work?

Patient counseling and care, leadership positions, health management, prevention, rehabilitation, therapy, quality assurance, science and research.

What are the entry requirements?

  • General higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulreife), advanced technical college certificate (Fachhochschulreife).
  • An interest in direct contact with sick and handicapped people, physical and mental readiness, a good sense of movement, manual dexterity, powers of observation, patience and empathy as well as social commitment, reliability and the ability to work in a team are required.

What costs will I incur as part of my studies?

Approx. € 340,40 (summer term 2022) including HVV ticket.Costs for teaching and learning materials, work clothing as well as travel expenses and excursions may be incurred to a minor extent.

Do you want to know more?